Sunday 9 February 2014

Upcycle projects: Part two : Chandelier re-do


When we moved in the house had the most horrific lights. Think glass panels and fake gold metal. I knew things had to change.
one in the passage and one in Mark's office



without the glass panels
 


Two of these in our living room/dining room


 When I buy an object I plan to “up cycle” I have to let it sit for a bit where I can see it and think about what colour it wants to be. Normally I leave it in the room where it will end up and that makes things easier to envision.


I found our first chandlier at Elephant Walk farm/charity shop at Cows Corner. It started out cream, with wicker clip on shades.

before


I eventually decided it just had to be a vibrant turquoise. I initially used a brand because it was slightly cheaper than other ones I saw. But I found it didn't dry too well and tended to be a bit “drippy”. But it did serve its purpose okay.

left:  2nd chandelier: before. Right:  first chandelier: after


after

after


The second chandelier also came from Elephant Walk,this one was wood and a fake brass with brass rings for shades to fit onto but no shades were sold with the chandelier. This one I knew HAD to be a deep purple. That was when I discovered Rustoleum spray paint. It is well worth the more expensive price. The smoothness of the finish is fantastic and unless you're too close it doesn't streak or drip.

before

before

before

during


after: its actually a deep purple


I did manage to selvege one of the original lights by spraying it a gloss black and adding strings of pearl beads left over from the wedding and removing the glass panels for good!

before


after

We found one more chandelier at a secondhand shop in Sedgefield and even managed to negotiate the price. We dont have the room built yet where we want to put it, so for now it's in storage.


before

tape covering the light fittings, ready for spraying

during

after

We have come to love the hunt for chandeliers and other treasures much more than just buying the standard ones everyone seems to have. The thrill of finding an unexpected hidden treasure waiting to be revamped and reloved is exciting and makes future hunts …. well thrilling .



Love Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment